Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Mixed emotions

I often read someone else's blog who I have not met or even talked to but feel as if I know a little about them. I read a post that they had made yesterday (august 1st on www.distantaggravation.blogspot.com) and it left me feeling at first kind of angry and insulted but then I realised that my anger was probably more to do with jealousy than what she said actually being insulting as actually it wasn't atall insulting. I wanted to have been there from the beginning, to have gone to endless signings and small gigs but I didn't and before recently didn't think I would have been able to (my dad would have had to take me and I didn't think he'd drive all over the place) and I was right, most of the events at the beginning were too short for my dad to have agreed to take me but there were a few after that, that I may have been able to go to had I known what I now know. Anyway going back to the thing I read. I want to be able to be part of that name - 'The army' and felt that by being a site member that I was, yet she had different views on what/who 'The army' is, not everyone thinks the same way as her but I do think she is right and I'm just jealous that I wasn't there from the beginning and didn't trek around the country and wasn't a site member from the very beginning, I feel like I missed out on alot even though I have now been a site member for over a year. Also I sometimes feel that they are closer, in a way, to Alistair as by now he has began to recognise them and knows there names and a little about them and knows that they follow and support him, and they seem to have so much fun, I guess I just want to be like them. However i do realise that even though they may seem to have a small connection with him, it does not neccessarily mean they are his friends but they are fans that he is aware of.
I think us 'newer' fans that now go to gigs should find ourselves a new name, one that people aren't ashamed to use, one that can be shouted with pride. *

*If anyones actually reading this an thinking 'what is she going on about?', I am talking about one of the many issues of being an Alistair griffin fan, although despite those 'issues' I definately reccomend being one - checkout his websites (see links down the left side :-) ) - shameless plugging lol !!!



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Yesterday I went to Monkey world - I had a great time and think that I might like to work there when I am older. I love animals and want to do something with them, but don't want t be a vet and don't know any other animal-related jobs that would pay well, I don't want to be a millionaire but these days you need alot just to survive comfortably. realy want to go to Uni as it sounds fun and would be a way to gently let myself into the 'independant adult world' especially if i stayed there away from home. Also if you do well it gives you moe choice once you have left. Knowing me though, i will cahnge my mind completely several times before deciding what I really want to do, or maybe, I might never really know !!!

8 comments:

Corinne said...

I hope you don't mind me commenting - I came over here from my site stats, a blog link with an Al song title in part of its name was always going to make me click *rolls eyes*.

I'm sorry that what I wrote upset you; I'm very aware that I'm not always at my nicest - or most diplomatic - when I blog and the entry concerned was a bit of a two fingered salute in retrospect. And because you were honest enough to admit that jealousy may have informed your reaction I'm going to admit that my own thought process was undoubtedly affected by some of my indignant anger surrounding the whole 'army' issue.

Obviously I'm not going to try to retract what I said, it might have been overly raw, but I think it's honest to what I feel at the moment (I haven't always felt this way and it might be that in the future I think entirely differently), but you're right when you say that others won't agree. That was just my personal, very honest, take on what the army means to me; it doesn't mean that in reality it's right or wrong.

And you're equally right about our relationship with Alistair. He knows my name and a little bit about me, just as I know a little bit about him, but certainly nothing that constitutes being friends with him. I know this has always been a bit of a prickly issue but were I on the other side of the divide, what would I think? I honestly can't say. Maybe I should paraphase one of my favourite things that I've ever read of Al's, that he respects all of his fans, background and foreground alike. Just because some of us did some odd, manic things in the beginning doesn't make us any more special or powerful. Maybe just more visible. Every fan, especially at the place that Al is at now, counts.

I have to be honest and say that I don't think there will ever be anything like 'the army' was in the BIO days, but then maybe that's a good thing. By which I mean that there won't be a mass grouping under one large umbrella name. But, as you note, that doesn't stop people from coming up with other names [the army may no longer be in circulation but I'm still part of the Northern Division]and there's certainly nothing to stop smaller groupings coming up with a new one to shout at gigs, or indeed have on a banner or two.

I was actually very touched by what you've written and I really hope you continue enjoying the Griffin experience. It does have its odd moments, but I'm sure we can both agree that when it's right it's pretty fantastic.

Corinne.x

PS. Given the fact that you're a Harry Potter fan too just be grateful that I didn't leave one of my Snape theories in your comment box. :P

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny said...

lol. Feel free to leave any Snape theories. :-D
No need to say sorry for what you wrote upsetting me as you were just writing what you feel, thanks for commenting. I think i've always felt jealous of those that were 'the army' in the early days but reading what you wrote made me think about it more. I'll probably always feel like I did miss out and that if I could go back in time I would be there from the start but despite that I'm glad I can be a part of the whole Griffin experience atall both now, when I first joined the site and when I started going to gigs and I'm certainly going to continue enjoying it :-)

Jenny said...

btw I have been trying to email you via your blog to say that I had mentioned your blog in mine, but I don't think it worked.

Corinne said...

I've had a couple of people have problems emailing me - the 'REMOVE' in my email address has to be, erm, removed so I don't know if that was the problem? I normally would have linked to you in my blog as I thought what you said was an interesting and well written response but I wasn't sure how private you want your blog to be given that I do have a lot of AG/GC-ers read mine. If you want me to link to you, though, let me know. I like to think that one day there'll be enough Griffin fan bloggers for us to have our own webring. *rolls eyes*

Jenny said...

You have to remove the remove ? D'oh, that would be the problem then lol.
You can link to me if you like I don't mind :-)

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Very enjoyable reading. The ony trouble that I have is that the font is a bit too small for me.

The army is in the past and you shouldn't yearn for something that can never be recreated. It only ever covered a very narrow sectrum of supporters anyway and for many it was a blessed relief when it 'disbanded'.

I enjoyed Corinne's blog entry that you are referring to. Not because I agreed with what she said but because I enjoyed the way that she wrote it. Very evocative.

I am interested that you would like a new name to be created. Would it really be possible to have an umberalla term that unites rather than divides any group of people, let alone a group of Griffin fans? It would in theory be possible to have several smaller groups simiar to the ND but what would be the point? They only set themselves up as objects of derision.

I look forward to reading more of your blog entrys. Keep blogging!

Jenny said...

Thanks for your comments :-)
Despite me initial feelings whenI read that particular blog entry I did think it was good as it did make me think.
I do now think that any sort of name would be more likely to cause trouble rather than unite people so perhaps that isn't a good idea. Really the main reason behind wanting a name is to unite but in reality it probably wouldn't work.
I understand what you said about the army being in the past now and even though I would have liked to have been a part of that because of the fun that most had then and I may be wrong but everyone seemed more united then but I also feel that it would be impossible to go back to that now, hopefully though they'll be just as much fun to be had in the future :-)

ps. I will have a play with the writing to make it easier to read :-)