Thursday, March 02, 2006

A break down in communication

I was without my computer on Tuesday as it was booked in to go to PC World. I had tried to change the screen resolution as it wasn't all on the screen but itwent blank and we had to ring a helpline to fix it which meant that we had then fixed the other problems we had but the graphics card was not working properly so the icons and everything were huge. It is now fixed which is good but I wasn't pleased when told that I couldn't have the computer back that day. I did manage without it though but I realised just how important my computer and the internet is to me.

On a completely different subject, something that doesn't require the internet, well only to research certain details, is writing my very own fanfiction, which for anyone who doesn't know is when you write your own story using characters and other details from an already written book. Mine is a Harry Potter fanfiction, unsurprisingly ;-), and it features one of my favourite characters - Neville aswell as Luna as it's main characters although I expect it will include most of the others at some point. I decided to write a fanfic about Neville and Luna because I love Neville and I think that him and Luna would make an interesting couple. The HP books are told from Harry's point of view, hence the name, but I decided to write mine in Neville's, I'm trying to keep the story of the book the same but from Neville pov rather than Harry's which means any points that Harry is not with Neville in the actual book I can invent although I may not get all my facts right. I think mine makes most sense if it is fitted along side GOF as I don't think at that point neville as met Luna properly and the stuff at the ministry hasn't happened yet and neither has the graveyard stuff so the tone is reasonably cheery at this point. :-) I'm not really sure where I'm going with it, I started one before but didn't finish it. I started a couple of my own stories when I was younger, about ghosts mainly because they were the sorts of books I read then although now I enjoy reading a different genre and I'm hoping to get further with this than I did any of those that I attempted before. I'm currently reading an autobiography of JK Rowling which is quite interesting and was talking about her childhood home which sounded to be in a lovely rural area, which is what I imagine Neville to live in so I'm hoping to add that detail into my fanfic at some point, but I'm not sure where to put it yet.

On another completely unrelated subject, I went to the Latin dance group again this morning as I have been doing for the last few weeks. It's called a Latin group but I didn't think the waltz was a Latin dance although what do I know? lol, we have also learnt bits of other dances that I did consider Latin dances and I am really enjoying it and I was proud of myself because I did go there by myself at first which for a quiet, shy person like me is an achievement. :-) I'm now considering applying for a place on a summer school at a university, either Oxford or another one that I can't think of at the moment when nearly all of my friends are going back to one that we went to last year for a few days (Winchester), I've not decided for definite but as I have already been there before I thought it would be more beneficial to take the opportunity to experience another university this time but it would mean probably being the only one from my school there which is quite scary considering it would be a little way from home and for a week. I think I have until Monday to decide!

No comments: