Saturday, November 19, 2005

Pleased and disappointed

This is my review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and will contain film spoilers so don't read until you've watched the film if you don't want to know anything about it beforehand. I posted my review on a Harry Potter forum (www.leakylounge.com) and have partly copied it over here with a few changes. May well change my view once I see it with for a 2nd time, I'm only going because she hasn't got anyone else to go with, honest ;-).

O.k I'm not going to lie and say it was fantastic. It was very good and I want to go and see it again infact I am either during the week or next Sunday but I was also disappointed. I think the main reason is because I have read the books and also I had really high hopes for this, everyone had said it was brilliant in different reviews from advanced screenings and then it's disappointing when you see as it, it's never going to be perfect and amazing unless it's a 5 or 6 hour film. I understand they have to cut a lot from the book but having read the books I notice everything and they've moved onto another scene and I'm left thinking but what about ... I think this is always going to happen though and the film as just a film and not a book adaption is great especially the special effects. I thought the dragon scene was the best. Voldermort wasn't as I imagined but still good, I've always imagined him being much more creepy and after hearing that it did get quite scary at the end I didn't think so, but I guess that's becaue I knew what was going to happen and I am 16 and it's only a PG12 (although usually I'm a complete scardy cat when it come to scary films lol). I think I've realised I'm mainly into the books and will just treat the films as added extra's which I guess is all they are anyway. I don't think, for me they could ever compare unless they did a 6 hour film which isn't practical even if I would watch it personally lol although maybe not all at once lol. I missed the first bit though - I came into the cinema when they had just arrived at the quidditch world cup and about to go into the tents. I'm presuming they showed more of the dream than we saw later on in the short clips and them all getting the portkey to the World cup but hopefully I'll get to see that when I go again ;-) lol.

I enjoyed the Yule ball stuff and the humour was good, the challenges were also good. I think really the way it's put together let it down for me. I think I need to give it a second watch as it all happened so quick.I did wear a t-shirt I made and although it was obvious most people had read the books and where 'fans' I only saw one person with anything HP related on and that was a girl with a hat and scarf. I'm glad I wore mine though and can't wait for another opportunity to wear it lol.
I thought all the acting was great, especially the trio well all of them really and I think because I'd seen pictures of Moody and got over the fact he wasn't how I first imagined that when I saw him in the film, I'd forgotten that at first I didn't like how he looked and thought he was a great Moddy if that makes sense lol.

In my opinion this film concentrated mainly on humour rather than some of the serious stuff (although that may just be the things I remember most) like Barty crouch junior and I didn't see Ludo bagman in it. Crouch senior's character wasn't really shown in the way I imagined it and I think that the bit in the maze where Harry and Cedric fight to get to the cup wasn't like there characters.

I'm looking forward to buying the DVD when it comes out, I hope it has added/ deleted scenes ect. though.

If anyone else has seen it I would love to hear your thoughts on it, especially anyone who hasn't read the books as I thought it may be a bit hard to follow if you hadn't but I may be wrong.

-------------------------

Just watching the Strictly Come Dancing results ( have got bored of X-Factor now *rollseyes*) Hope Patsy and Anton get through :-)

Edit: Can't believe Will went out, it should not have been those two couples in the last two, Bill or James were the worst. I was really worried Patsy and Anton were going to go home, was pleased they got through but still sad that it was Will that went.

No comments: