Saturday, July 14, 2007

My Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix film review (film and book 5 spoilers)

So I'd heard quite a bit about the film beforehand and also expected a lot to not be included from the books and things to not be as I imagined them as I have always preferred the books and disliked some of the aspects of the films. The opening of this film made me think this was going to be the same, the park was weird, the dementors seemed to have a huge effect, the other kids were there to start with and the actual dementors have been changed for the worse, since when have dementors grabbed at people and been skeletal? BUT I liked the dialogue between Harry and Dudley in the park and the way the others just laughed at Harry's wand, I also thought the way they filmed the dementors with Dudley was interesting, as you can't really tell if Dudley can see them or anything that may help guess what will be revealed in Deathly Hallows.
The scene in Privet Drive with Uncle Dursley and Aunt Petunia was just a bit weird and didn't feel right but I'm not really sure why. Tonks didn't look as I imagined but her personality was good, not that she had a lot to say. Moody and his stick rather than a wand and no explanation of the protections over Grimauld Place was a bit disappointing however, quite liked Grimmauld Place otherwise though as well as Kreacher.
Such a shame about Sirius as he is a great character, loved the stuff between him and Harry and really felt Harry was sad during those scenes, yet it moved on so quickly and in the scenes with Dumbledore at the end there was no real mention of it, no desperate search to try and find a way to contact him again (like asking Nearly Headless Nick). I did like the Voldermort vs Dumbledore battle though, good effects and loved the possession of Harry stuff, some good lines and acting. On an acting front, Bellatrix was awesome, as was Luna (loved all her lines, she so stole all the scenes she was in lol) but Hermione just seemed a bit too over the top in the delivery of the lines a lot of the time although Emma does a good job at other points. Back to Luna, even though I know J K Rowling has dismissed the suggestion of Luna and Neville getting together there were some interesting moments in this film to suggest otherwise. One time Luna, as calm as anything in the middle of the battles, said to Neville 'that was really good' or something along those lines and also Neville grabs Luna to pull her out of the way at some point and I;m sure they even hold hands which is so adorable. Both characters are, so put together it equals mega adorableness lol. I also liked the bit with Neville talking about his parents to Harry, I may have cried a bit (only just had tears in my eyes for the death later on however, partly because it moved on so quick).
The Occlumency was good but quick, as was a lot of the stuff, didn't see Lily in Snape's memory though, don't know if I missed her or if she wasn't included in the end, I know she was cast.
There were quite a few things, like the Ministry set (especially the veil) and Mrs Figg, that I thought looked wrong in a way but still worked for the film. The veil stuff was interesting, I need to watch it again really to be sure so this could be incorrect but I think Bellatrix says Avada Kedavra but then Sirius sort of stumbles (it's not really made clear) and then goes into the veil, rather than falling straight down dead like we've seen in the past with the killing curse but then again it may just have been the way it was done or I could be remembering wrong so I'm still unsure whether that means all people who die go behind the veil or if it's just because Sirius fell through it that he will. I'm leaning, however, more to the thought that everyone does, but I also think you can't just walk in and back out even if your not dead, so if Sirius did just fall in, he'd still be dead if that makes any sense.
I'm sure there was more I wanted to say on the film but I can't really remember now (oh yeah I did like the look Ginny gave when Harry was staying behind with Cho after one of the DA meetings, and I thought the film had a lot of funny moments, liked the goat walking by Aberforth in the Hog's Head, nice touch for book fans) but I may come back and add things later on lol.

No comments: