Saturday, July 28, 2007

My Deathly Hallows thoughts - warning contains huge spoilers

Well I have read the book, and had time to think over what I read, and re-read certain sections but do plan a total re-read soon as I am for one confused about certain things, and for two at a loss of what to do without having some HP to read. I finished the book with many confused feelings, I expected so much and was disappointed at how little we found out really, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the book or think it was good because it was brilliant, and oh how I cried. I still can't believe really that I have read the last ever Potter book so that isn't really why I cried (that will hit me later on I'm sure lol) but oh gosh Harry's 'death' was sooooooo emotional and sad but wonderfully written. Something in me thought no he can't really be about to die but I'd been starting to think he would have to sacrifice himself and I could see no way out once we were told he was a horcrux. I cried so much, not just few tears at the corner of my eyes proper full blown crying. The way J K included the information about his trips to Hagrid's hut just made me think about how final this book was, a sum up of all the amazing times I've had reading about the things Harry's done and now it would be over which as well as the fact Harry the character was about to face his death, so was the book which meant double the sadness. When Harry talked to Neville and didn't want to speak to Ginny was just so, awww and :( but really showed the love Harry felt for these people and what he was willing to do to ensure all of their safety. As to the other deaths, Hedwig got me, and Dobby but the end deaths in the battle didn't, partly because how quickly it was dealt with and because at that point I was expecting deaths, and bigger characters to what we did see so it was almost, an I do feel bad for saying this, but it was almost a relief that only those characters that died did. However when Lupin talked about not seeing his son that did get me lol. This book had so much action and the fact we saw Voldermort kill in the very first chapter and then more deaths straight away, then they were safe and then they weren't, all the time there was that fear of LV turning up or catching them which meant I couldn't put the book down I was so involved and wanted to know what would happen next.
There were some very funny moments though, even in the middle of so much grief and danger. Loved the Harry/Ginny stuff at The Burrow and the Hermione/Ron stuff, shame we didn't really get to see Tonks and Lupin together although we knew they were. Aside from deaths, other things that made me cry were - Hermione and her parents, that was so moving and showed just how talented a witch she is. The epilogue was also moving, but in a happy, wonderful way. I was just so pleased to see them all happy like that after everything that has happened to them all.

Some 'negative' things - a few things didn't seem to add up but that might be because I need to read it more carefully again or something. Also there was a lot of Dumbledore in this book, too much perhaps, though it was necessary and it was done well but I'd just have personally liked to have seen more of some other characters instead.

Last thing (for know anyhow) which well I feel it was probably necessary to show us Harry's feelings towards Snape but I'm a bit 'confused' about the Albus Severus thing because o.k he was very brave and he loved Lily but he wasn't a good person. He wouldn't have done any of those brave things if it hadn't been for Lily, and they say you can't help who you fall in love with but you can help what you do in your life and Snape CHOSE to become a death eater, wasn't it his own fault that Lily did get killed because he told LV about the prophecy. Forgive me if I've missed something or misunderstood but some people seem to think Snape redeemed himself and is good because he was on Dumbledore's side. But really he wasn't he was on his own side, just doing what Dumbledore wanted because he loved Lily. Having said that, his cruelness to Harry could have been seen as him just 'acting' so that LV wouldn't be able to realise Snape was a spy but, there is another but too many infact which makes me very confused lol, that Snape could stop LV reading his mind, why the need to act horrible because surely if LV could read his mind then he'd be able to see he was a spy anyway. O.k so perhaps the fact he had Lily's eyes made Snape angry or upset or guilty when looking into them but surely for Lily's sake he should have been kind or at least not so cruel. And why be cruel to Neville and Hermione? The only thing I can conclude from that is that he is not a nice man, he is bitter perhaps from his childhood but I think even then (he spent time with future Death Eaters) he wasn't nice and was very interested in the Dark Arts. His want to help Harry get rid of LV was really only because he killed Lily not because Snape disagreed with LV's beliefs or actions.

Anyone with any thoughts/opinions feel free to leave a comment. :)

No comments: