Saturday, July 14, 2007

6 days... my Deathly Hallows theories (contains HP spoilers)

So the last Harry Potter book comes out in 6 days and many answers will be revealed, and not surprisingly there is much speculation about what will happen. I have become increasingly concerned that everything seems to point to Harry sacrificing himself in some heroic way for the cause but I'm not sure I want that to happen, unless it means he goes beyond the veil and gets to be reunited with his parents (which would be interesting, as in the first book there is the Mirror of Erised which shows his hearts desire of being with his parents, meaning it would be a nice ending, and a good reference back to the first book and the last challenge in the 'obstacle' course to get the Philosopher's Stone). If that was to happen, however it might also be nice for Ginny to jump in after him so they can still be together, unless she will wait to be reunited when she's older, although then wouldn't Harry have stayed the same age as when he died, I'm not sure how that would work.
Thinking to Voldermort's demise, well everyone think he's a baddy he'll die but I thought perhaps he might just lose his powers to become muggle Tom Riddle (the prophecy only refers to the Dark Lord when saying only one can survive) again which he despised. This would make sense with what Dumbledore always said that there are fates worse that death, and this was one of Voldermort's greatest flaws however this line having not been included in the film makes me wonder if that means it isn't important enough. I'm also not sure how that would come about as J K has used backfiring curses and things before, so would she echo the start again or think of something original, I'm not sure. I don't really like to think he'd use the Gryffindor sword or the killing curse as it would make Harry a direct/brutal killer which he stops Lupin and Sirius becoming in book 3 (or perhaps just int he film I'm not sure) saying he didn't think his father would want his two best friends becoming killers and it would be dropping to the Death Eater's and Voldermort's level however I'm not sure Harry would be happy to let someone else do it so perhaps as is said all along 'love' will kill him in an indirect way because of Harry but I'm unsure how that would work either.
In terms of ships (who gets with who) got to be Hermione and Ron, Harry back with Ginny, Remus and Tonks, Bill and Fleur. I would have liked Neville with someone but J K's dismissed Luna, and also I'd like to see him get revenge in some way over Bellatrix and see his parents make some degree of recovery which would probably make him happier than gaining a girlfriend. I did wonder if there had been something between Remus and Lily though, after re-watching film 3. There are some interesting lines said by him to Harry on the bridge and J K has said that something in that film that was included gave her goosebumps or something because it gave clues for future books or something like that though what that would mean to the story I don't know but that would probably be something he discovers when he visits Godric's Hollow or talks to Aunt Petunia, perhaps that's the thing that means there's more to Petunia than meets the eye, that she liked him or knew him or something, I don't know perhaps not, but I think she knows something more than Harry knows or something.
As to other characters dying, I'm really not sure who it will be, at least 2 major characters that she didn't intend to die suggest at least one of the trio because she had previously said in an early interview that the trio would survive, most likely Harry. Or if it is one of the other two, it could be because the other is in danger and they are sacrificing themselves but to get them together eventually and then to kill one of them would be cruel as they would have such a short time 'together'. I really would like to see Neville and Luna survive lol but I just don't know if they will. I think Hagrid's life is very much in danger too but to kill yet another of Harry's 'family' figures would be so cruel and no longer necessary as Harry has already realised he can't keep letting people get killed stopping him from being hurt which is really why the other deaths of significant characters have needed to happen as well as to keep it 'real' as J K as said I think.
Lastly, for now, to Snape - after watching the new film, I'm tempted to believe he is on the Order's side although that does not mean he is a good person (as Sirius said, which interestingly was included in the film, the world is not split into good people and death eaters) although I did keep changing my mind a lot when reading different theories and thoughts and re-reading and watching the books and films. When I read the last chapters of Half Blood Prince I do think Dumbledore knew what Snape was going to do, and I don't know but perhaps, I think that he was pleading for him to do it, rather than to not, and the look of repulsion is at what he's doing as opposed to at Dumbledore, because otherwise we would hve seen him look at him like that before even if it was when Dumbledore was not looking his way. Although perhaps not, oh I don't know lol, that is what makes these books so good, these things can't be worked out for definite yet clues are there to be discussed, but we will know soon, though whether we'll get all the answers we want is debatable. If J K's said 'never say never' to more books, some things may not be answered (perhaps to be in an encyclopedia type thing) and that also suggests perhaps Harry survives but then again she said something along of the lines of there being a clear ending which could suggest otherwise. I don't really know if another book could work, an encyclopedia would make more sense I think, but part of me wants to think another full story, awhile into the future could still be a possibility.

Post any comments if you have any thoughts on what I've said or your own theories, if your a big HP fan with no friends who are really interested and want to chat about HP theories this week before it's too late and the last book comes out that would be cool too, so just give me your email or myspace address and I'll add you or just say and I'll give you mine if you'd rather. :-)

No comments: