Monday, July 23, 2007

My Deathly Hallows experience (no spoilers but will be in next blog, above)

So, the 20th came, whether I was ready for it to or not. I awoke still unsure where to go to get my book from that night but eventually decided about lunchtime that a local store would be more convenient and probably just as good. As it happens I don't know, not having been to any others, the London ones would I'm sure have provided me with much more theorising opportunities before the book was released and the overall experience and build up to the book may have been better but I'm sure I would have been waiting around, and to get the book much longer and it wasn't possible to get there early enough. In terms of decoration and the quiz that happened the event I went to itself was good, I'd have liked to have been picked for the quiz though, as I knew a lot of the answers and I felt it could have been better organised. It also annoyed me that some, perhaps most seemed not to take the Potter world as seriously, I'd have liked to have had company of the sort of people who visit the forums and have been discussing what will happen furiously but oh well. I did wear my Luna Lovegood costume although not it fully for all of the time as when I arrived in the evening, there were only 5 or 6 girls in front of me, none in proper costumes, and although several more costumers turned up later on, as well as many many more people there were no really good complete canon costumes which was a little disappointing. When I got my book, about 15 minutes after midnight I quickly made my way across the busy town I was in, in my robes, holding a wand and the book which I'm sure provided amusement for the drunk passers by. I avoided most spoilers by avoiding both the Internet and T.v/radio mostly as well as all newspapers and magazines I also took my mp3 player to the queue party which I turned up loud when people who I thought may shout things walked by and once it was midnight. I did still see and hear some though, some I now know to be false, others true partly and completely however whether the people who said them were aware what they were saying would turn out to be true I don't know, but for the most part I doubt it.

Once home, I began to read straight away. I read only 2 chapters however before stopping and instead writing my thoughts on what I had just read, trying to guess what it meant and what may happen, intending to do this often, and take my time to read the book. Saturday came, I read some more and then visited my family, some of which already knew the answers from the T.V. I soon realised I would have to finish the book quickly if I was to avoid being spoilt before I reached the end if I wanted to be able to leave the house or watch T.V and so Sunday came and I read almost continuously until I was almost at the end of the main part of the book. Now, with just a page left, which I am trying to delay reading but the temptation to find out what she changed the last word to threatening to cause me to finish the book completely so soon. I think I rushed the reading rather quickly, almost skim reading at parts near the end in my desperation to discover the answers. I regret this to a point but it means I am able to re-read it without the feeling of having already read it as there is much I missed and so much to get my head around. I still don't want to finish the book however, even if there is still much to be discussed on forums and the fandom will continue it is an end of something. To have the possibility of not having any more Potter to read... ever. I know she may write more in the distant future or perhaps just an encyclopedia but that is so unsure at the moment. The world I have come to love; to live, will be over. No more adventures will they participate in, no more fun shall they have. But I know it must end, all good things must come to an end so they say but still I do not read that... last page.

No comments: