Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Space suits, fire alarms and bears - it could only be an Alistair griffin gig!

Well I've had lots of things to keep myself occupied these last few months but one of the best things has got to be going to York to see Alistair Griffin last weekend. It was on a Sunday so I traveled up on the Sunday morning and went back on the Monday. It was about a 3 1/2 hour journey on train but well worth it. As always it was an eventful gig, what with the out of this world entrance ;-) and an evacuation, not forgetting a fond farewell to the much loved bear (although in my opinion the time was right for this particular goodbye so I do hope it really is farewell). The gig was great, it made me laugh and want to get up and dance about (although I couldn't) and I love what he has done to some of the old songs and the new songs are brilliant - even my dad was very impressed with 'something's going on' (I think it was that one he meant, he didn't actually know what it was called) and the way Alistair had performed it, my dad had heard it previously at The bedford but thought it sounded much better with the band backing. On the sunbject of the band they were good although Riccardi - Alistair's previous backing band where mich better looking ;-).
I had decided beforehand that I was not going to let my dad drag me away as soon as it finished and so I waited around talking to people from Alistair's website and getting my dad to ask people if they were who I thought they were (I was too shy) until Alistair came out and started signing things, I have things signed so felt no need to get anything else signed however I was yet to have my photo taken with him, at first I told my dad to wait and let people go first but it soon became clear that they were in a hurry to get him and everyone else out so I let my dad go and ask him if I could have my photo taken with him - I don't think I said anything, not even a thank you,(Thanks Alistair lol) I'm a bit annoyed with myself actually as I didn't really think about it much if that makes sense,I just went up had the photo taken and went off, I had been so intent in getting one but when I did it wasn't, I don't know how to explain it but it just wasn't something. That may make sense to some but then again it might not. I guess because I have followed Alistair for two years or so (not literally, I'm not a stalker lol) that I thought actually standing next to him would be more exciting, I don't know if I'm making sense but I can't really explain it, looking back and seeing the photos, I'm think OMG I was standing next to Alistair Griffin but at the time I just didn't have time to think that and I didn't have much time to think of anything actually. Anyway that may not be making any sense I'll change the subejct slightly. I was quite surpised at how much I said to some people as before I have just nodded and smiled in response to people as I've not been confident enough to actually speak to them, I think I prob did still do this but not as much and I did have conversations with some people. I'm very glad you came over and said hello to me btw Corinne if you read this, I had thought it was you but at the time was trying to get a photo with Alistair and then we were being hurried out so I was glad you asked me if I was who you thought I was before we got chucked right out of the building lol, hope to get to speak to you for longer another time.
After I had returned back to my hotel, I found there were lots of Alistair fans in the hotel bar area so I stayed down there for awhile, I now have an apology to make although I doubt they will read this, I don't know if there are many people from Alistair-griffin that read this (if there are leave a comment please as I'd be interested to see who does, I may have to be careful what I say - only joking they're nearly all lovely lol). Anyway I wanted to aplogise for prob being quite rude, I did listen in to some people's conversation, although in my defense they were right next to me and not talking quietly so I'm not sure if they did not want me to hear or not but sorry anyway. I was just trying to try and join in with conversations as although I speak to many people on site, I feel that you don't really get close friends unless you speak a lot at gigs and on msn and thigns like that. I don't have many people that I talk to on msn from site and in the past I've only briefly spoked to people at gigs so this time I was trying to join in more although I think the thing I achieved was looking nosy. However I did talk more and meet some lovely people thatI hope to speak to again in the future.
I have to add and this is where I'm not sure if I should as I don't know who reads this (although probably nobody, in which case I'm talking to myself and I feel like an idiot - nothing new there then) but I will say it anyway. I have heard rumours about certain people who have a lot to do with the site and I guess they have influenced my views towards the site and people in question but I shouldn't have done as I now do not believe the rumours were true and have a different and much better opinion of certain people so I am sorry to them for my previous assumptions. I came awayfrom this gig with different views, and I like these views much better :-D

ps. I'm sure there is something else I was going to mention but can't remember what it was, I'll have to come back and edit it in if I do remember.
Also if anyone actually manages to get to the end of this without getting bored and going off to do something more interesting and actually understands any of the stuff I'd be interested to hear people's views if anyone has one on some of what I've said. :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I saw you after the gig Jen (having seen your pic with Al I'm sure it was you!) but didn't get the chance to say hello. Maybe next time. Don't worry about not talking to Al, I still can't speak much sense when I'm near him either, sometimes it's best to not say anything at all! And at least you didn't cough your germs all over him like I managed to! Glad you and your dad enjoyed the gig, let's hope there's another one soon. :-)

Jenny said...

Yes, that was probably me. Hopefully there will be another somewhen soon and I'll get to speak to you :-)

Anonymous said...

Another one who does read your blog Jen, and yes I did get to the end without getting bored. Don't worry about the pic with Al, you are not alone, I have done just the same. Was lovely to get the chance to chat to you and your Dad in the interval.Hope to meet you at another one sometime next year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
I also read your blog but apparently not very often as I've only just seen this! lol. I also understand that not talking to Alistair bit, I've pretty much given up talking to him as whenever I do it doesnt make much sense, lol, even if you plan on saying something it quite often ends up coming out wrong anyway! Hopefully see you at a gig soon.

Jenny said...

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't say anything lol :-)

Btw I think if you are who I think you are that you were standing just infront of me in the queue at York.

Anonymous said...

Ive found you too!! Amazing what comes up when you Google Alistair!

I too struggle to chat with anyone other than people I know well and as for Alistair - s;ldfhoqwfbs,mcesjb comes to mind (and lips!!!)

Anonymous said...

ah well, at least we all know we are in the same boat on the talking problem!

when i got to the queue in york i was kind of in the doorway, but when the doorway area became more of a crowd than a queue so everyone could be in the warm, lol, i was probably about 4 'rows' of people in from the door.

Jenny said...

Hope you don't mind me asking, but are you a member on one of the Alistair sites and if so who 'anonymous'?